Friday, December 07, 2007

End of Human-Kind by 2008 Bet

The Laguna Beach Independent recently published a letter-to-the-editor that criticized me and included:
“The present level of population density and carbon-based industrialization is producing an exponential increase in the average world wide temperature, which, if not dramatically reduced over the next decade will lead to an environmental disaster that human-kind is unlikely to survive.”

I think “exponential” in this sentence means that the world’s temperature’s rate of increase will not be going up in a straight line, but as a curve that continually becomes steeper. Where does this information come from? “if not dramatically reduced over the next decade will lead to an environmental disaster that human-kind is unlikely to survive.”

I have lots of money to bet on that one and 2018 is not so long to wait to see who is right. For all takers, I bet that human-kind will exist in 2018.

Although not part of my bet, I am very confident in winning as I suspect that the human population will actually go up, life expectancies will increase, and deaths from extreme weather conditions will decline.

For those thinking of taking up my bet, it is only fair to remind them of the Julian L. Simon bet with Paul Erhlich, and to reveal that I have a scientific background that includes having taken two years each of high school chemistry and physics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home